Older than Dirt, Dumber than a Fence Post, and Poorer than a Dirt Farmer


65 YEARS A GREEN BAY PACKER FAN
 

I'm older than dirt, I'm dumber than a fence post, I'm poorer than a dirt farmer, but I have always had the Green Bay Packers to make me smile. 

I've also had television networks that brought me their games. Whether it was Sunday, Sunday Night, Monday Night or Thursday Night. . . there they were, and all I had to do was turned on the television with my remote.

But, our supreme television gods have bestowed upon us a much better idea. They have contracted with heretofore unheard of networks such as: Peacock, Hulu, ESPN+, WuHo, Sassafras, WhoNu, JabberBox, and TinkerBell, to name a few. 

My Spectrum Silver Package was promised to be their very best bundle. We took a second mortgage on our house and went for it!  

Now, that's just no longer good enough. Our family and friends tell us to disconnect that damn Spectrum and get these strange little boxes that will give you oodles of channels. . . at oodles of charges. Our question was: "But will we still have our favorite channels like Hallmark, two different Sci-Fi channels, History, NFL, Montana PBS, Two Western Channels, SWX Sports and Weath...?"  NO! But you can "stream anything you want!." they said. 

I said, "stream? What's that? And then they take me into a world of mumbo-jumbo and loses me half-way through the sales pitch on television technology. 

This is just like what I've been saying since I went through fourteen dramatic conversions on how I needed to re-train a complete newspaper staff on how to put out a newspaper! And I sometimes doubt we did anything that was great for our customers!

My famous phrase I've used often is: "We have finally "out-technology'd (meaning outsmarted) ourselves to the point of absurdity. If you can be delighted with the goal because it means you can buy a new widget that will recognize the bright, shinny object in the little black hand-held box, it must all be good!"

Now I get about four of Green Bay's games per season. But, hey, I don't have to hire an account to keep track of all of those two-bit TV networks I'd be  paying for! 

It seems, these days, the tail is wagging the dog too much.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Trees Kept Voting for the Axe. . .

It's immoral to even let him run for office. . .

A Day for a little Levity. . .